To Qualify for the Electric Heat Rate Program:
McLean Electric Cooperative will only sub-meter 240 Volt electrical heating circuits. These include baseboards, cove heat, wall units, unit heaters, boilers, and electric furnaces.
- To qualify for the electric heat rate, the member will need to purchase a meter socket and current transformer (CT) from McLean Electric. The member will receive a separate invoice, it will not be added to your electric bill statement.
- The equipment can be picked up by the member or their electrician.
- The meter socket must be installed on the outside of the building. Once installation is completed, please notify MEC so our technician can verify and install the meter into the meter socket.
- All sub-metered heat usage will qualify for the heating rate of 5.5¢ per kWh. There is a base charge of $3/month per sub-meter.
- This is a non-controllable heat rate, which means McLean Electric will not turn off the electric heat at any time.
- Entire service panels are not allowed to be CT'd - only individual heat circuits.
- The electric heat rate of 5.5¢ is only available from October 1st through April 30th.
- During the non-heating months, any electric heat usage will be billed through the main meter at the regular 11.24¢ rate.